A senior Ukrainian army official confirmed on Saturday that Kiev forces are advancing towards parts of the front line with Russian forces near Bakhmut in the east of the country.
“Our soldiers are advancing in some areas of the front, and the enemy is recording losses in numbers and equipment,” the commander of the Ukrainian Land Forces, Oleksandr Sersky, wrote on social media.
“The defensive operation towards Bakhmut continues,” he added.
Earlier Saturday, Germany announced that it was preparing a new package of weapons for Ukraine worth 2.7 billion Euros, the largest allocated to Berlin since the Russian invasion of Ukraine last year.
Kiev said that this large package is a new indication that Russia will lose the war against Ukraine.
The advisor to the Ukrainian presidency, Mykhailo Podolyak, welcomed the new German assistance, saying that it “directly shows that… Russia is doomed to defeat”.
Kiev is calling for more support, especially as it prepares a counter-attack to regain territory controlled by Russian forces.
Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba said he had discussed with his US counterpart Antony Blinken the arms supplies to his country.
“I stressed the importance of providing Ukraine with F16s and starting the necessary steps to train Ukrainian pilots,” he said.