Iran’s Supreme Leader rejects the US nuclear proposal… It’s 100% contrary to our interests
Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said on Wednesday that the US proposal to reach an agreement with Tehran on its nuclear program contradicts Iran’s national interests.
Khamenei said, “The proposal (regarding Iran’s nuclear program) put forward by the Americans is 100% inconsistent with our slogan ‘We can,'” stressing that Iran isn’t waiting for the American “green light” to make its decisions.
Earlier, White House spokeswoman Caroline Levitt said that US President Donald Trump’s position on Iran is clear, and that “uranium enrichment” isn’t included in the nuclear agreement proposal Washington presented to Tehran.
This came at a press conference on Tuesday, during which she evaluated reports circulating in US media outlets that the draft proposal presented by the United States to Iran allowed Tehran to enrich uranium at a limited level.
Levitt indicated that she would not comment on the details of these allegations.
She continued, “We don’t conduct negotiations through the media… We respect the meetings and negotiations conducted by Special Envoy, Steve Witkoff… President Trump made his position very clear on his Truth Social account last night”.
She stated that Trump’s special envoy to the Middle East, Witkoff, presented a detailed and “acceptable” proposal to the Iranian side.
She added, “The president hopes this proposal will be accepted, and stresses that Iran will face dire consequences if it’s not accepted”.
Trump said in a post on Truth Social that his administration would not allow Iran to enrich uranium as part of a potential nuclear agreement with Tehran.
Trump asserted that Iran’s uranium enrichment program “should have been halted long ago”.
On the other hand, Axios website reported that Tehran will be allowed to enrich uranium at low levels for a specified period of time.
The issue of uranium enrichment is a major point of contention between Iran and the United States, as nuclear negotiations between the two countries continue.
Iran is demanding the lifting of sanctions in exchange for restrictions on its nuclear program to prevent it from developing a nuclear bomb.
The US side is demanding that Iran halt uranium enrichment at all levels, despite previously stating that it would accept a low enrichment level.
Oman is mediating negotiations between the United States and Iran to resolve key disagreements.
Five rounds have been held, three of which were in Muscat, with a sixth round anticipated.
On May 31, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi announced that his country had received the terms of a US proposal aimed at reaching a nuclear agreement between Tehran and Washington.
These developments come amid a prolonged stalemate in nuclear negotiations between Iran and Western powers.
Since Washington withdrew from the agreement during Trump’s first term in 2018, there have been repeated attempts by both sides to revive it under new conditions.
