Haaretz: Washington was surprised by Hamas’ commitment to the Gaza Agreement and Israel acknowledges it
The Israeli Haaretz newspaper said on Tuesday that the US administration was surprised by Hamas’s commitment to the ceasefire agreement in the Gaza Strip, while the Israeli army acknowledged what it called the absence of an increase in the number of Palestinian violations.
This comes amid ongoing Israeli violations of the ceasefire agreement in Gaza, which have led to hundreds of deaths and injuries among Palestinian civilians.
The Israeli leftist newspaper added: “The US administration was surprised by Hamas’s commitment to its commitments, specifically its success in finding and returning the bodies of all the dead hostages, with the exception of policeman Ran Jolie Israel continues to demand his return, a demand that Washington supports”.
“The IDF admits that the number of Palestinian violations of the agreement was not significantly high,” Haaretz said.
Regarding Hamas’ commitment despite the Israeli violations, Haaretz said, “Soldiers shoot at Hamas members who are trying to cross the Yellow Line to gather intelligence on IDF positions, and sometimes to launch attacks, but there has been no organized attempt by Hamas to clash with the IDF”.
Hamas has repeatedly reiterated its commitment to the Gaza ceasefire agreement, while calling on mediators to commit Israel to similar steps.
Earlier on Tuesday, the government media office in Gaza said in a statement that Israel had committed 738 violations of the ceasefire agreement in two months, killing 386 Palestinians and wounding 980, and bringing in aid not exceeding 38 percent of what was agreed, exacerbating the suffering of civilians.
The ceasefire agreement came into effect on October 10, ending a genocidal war that Israel began on October 8, 2023, which left more than 70,000 dead and more than 171,000 wounded.
