Casualties after Russian attack on a training camp in Ukraine while Kyiv launches drones towards Russian cities
A Russian attack on a training site killed six Ukrainian soldiers and wounded more than a dozen others, the Ukrainian National Guard said Wednesday.
“Six soldiers were killed and more than ten others were injured as a result of the attack while they were conducting training at a shooting range,” the Ukrainian National Guard said on Facebook, adding that an investigation had been opened into the incident.
The Russian military announced that it had shot down 159 Ukrainian drones in the space of 12 hours in several areas, two days after a phone call between the Russian and US presidents that did not result in any announcement of a ceasefire.
A statement from the Russian Defense Ministry said that “127 Ukrainian drones were detected and destroyed” between 5:00 PM GMT on Tuesday and 1:00 AM on Wednesday, explaining that these drones had specifically attempted to attack the Russian border regions of Bryansk and Kursk.
Another 32 drones were shot down between 1:00 AM and 5:00 AM GMT on Wednesday, according to the same source.
Ukraine regularly launches drones towards Russia in response to daily Russian strikes on its territory for three years.
Meanwhile, Russian President Vladimir Putin visited the Kursk Oblast on Tuesday, located on the border with Ukraine, which Russia declared liberated from Ukrainian forces at the end of April, according to a Kremlin statement on Wednesday.
