Trump orders sweeping review of Biden-era asylum and permanent residency applications and planning to halt immigration from third world countries!
US President Donald Trump’s administration announced on Thursday that it has begun a broad review of all green cards issued to citizens of more than 12 countries, in the wake of the shooting incident that targeted two National Guard members in Washington.
Joseph Edlo, director of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), said on X that he had issued directives to conduct a thorough and thorough examination of all permanent residency cases of citizens belonging to what he described as countries of concern.
Officials at the Department of Homeland Security confirmed to US media that President Trump has also ordered a review of all asylum applications approved during the Joe Biden administration, along with the permanent residency files of citizens of 19 countries.
According to officials, the Washington attack suspect — an Afghan migrant — entered the United States in 2021 as part of a resettlement program, and the attack seriously wounded two National Guard soldiers.
Hours after the incident, USCIS suspended the processing of all immigration applications from Afghan nationals on an immediate and indefinite basis.
The Department of Homeland Security said the Trump administration is expanding the measure to include reviewing all asylum claims approved by the Biden administration during its tenure.
Trump has previously called for a thorough re-examination of all Afghans who arrived in the United States under Biden, stressing the need to deport all those who don’t provide a benefit to the country.
Since returning to the White House earlier this year, Trump has launched a series of hardline decisions on immigrants.
On Tuesday, he issued a directive to reassess the files of all refugees who entered the country between January 20, 2021 and February 20, 2025, i.e. more than 233,000 people.
In late October, Trump also lowered the 2026 refugee admission cap to a historic low of just 7,500 refugees, declaring that the priority would be to receive whites from South Africa.
Trump had previously designated 19 countries as “a source of concern,” including Afghanistan, to which the suspect in Wednesday’s attack belongs.
In related context, Trump announced on Friday that he plans to permanently halt immigration to the United States from what he called “third world countries”.
The announcement came through a post on Truth Social, where he said: “I’ll work to stop immigration from all third world countries once and for all, so that we give the American system a chance to fully recover… I will also stop all federal benefits and subsidies for non-citizens”.
Trump has also vowed to deport any foreigner within the United States if he deems them a burden to society, a security threat, or incompatible with “Western civilization”.
Earlier in the day, Trump reiterated his insistence on expelling all people who entered the United States to seek asylum, without specifying their backgrounds or nationalities.
During direct contact with military bases on the occasion of Thanksgiving, he said: “When it comes to asylum, it becomes very difficult to deport them once they arrive… But we will deport them all”.
Trump noted that a large number of arrivals from Afghanistan entered the United States — he said — without undergoing the required security checks, adding, “There are a lot of similar cases, and we will deport them”.
In another statement, Trump announced that Sarah Beckstrom, a member of the US National Guard, died of her wounds after she was one of two people shot in an incident near the White House on Wednesday.
He added that the other soldier remains in critical condition and is fighting for his survival.
