Russia accuses Ukraine of planning to invade the region separate from Moldova
The Russian Defense Ministry accused Ukraine on Thursday of planning to invade Transnistria, which is separated from Moldova, after a fake operation, according to the RIA news agency.
The Russian Defense Ministry said Ukraine had planned an attack, allegedly launched by Russian forces, from Transnistria as a pretext for the invasion.
In a separate context, the Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Mikhail Galuzin said that the West had instructed the Chisinau government to stop any interaction with the Moscow-backed Transnistrian administration.
Earlier this month, Moldovan President Maia Sandu accused Moscow of plotting a coup to overthrow the government and drag Transnistria into its war.
The mainly Russian-speaking region broke away from then-Soviet Moldova in 1990.
After the dissolution of the Soviet Union in 1991, pro-Russian separatists fought a bloody war against government forces in Moldova.