On Monday, the Palestinian Ministry of Health announced that the number of Palestinian killed has risen to five as a result of a military operation by the Israeli army in Jenin in the West Bank.
The ministry stated, in a press statement, that Palestinians were killed by live bullets, at a time when it was monitored that about 30 others were injured, including seven in serious condition.
The Israeli army’s military operation included raids on several locations inside the Jenin refugee camp, a ground incursion, and clashes with Palestinian activists, according to Palestinian sources.
For its part, the Israeli army confirmed that its forces carried out a series of operational activities inside the city of Jenin and its camp to thwart activities by targeting “terrorist” infrastructure, carrying out arrest operations and confiscating weapons and explosive devices.
The Israeli army stated, in a statement, that its forces arrested activists and found a large number of explosive devices, while a command headquarters and unified operations room for the factions located in the heart of Jenin camp, inside which activists and weapons were located, were targeted.
A Palestinian Youngman was shot dead by the Israeli army this morning during a demonstration in the city of al Bireh in the central West Bank.
Palestinian sources stated that the Israeli special forces, reinforced with armored vehicles, have been unable so far to storm the camp, explaining that their presence is only limited to its outskirts.
On the other hand, the Israeli army stated earlier that its forces had bombed a “joint operations center,” which it claimed was a command center for fighters from the “Jenin Brigade,” an armed unit.
The Israeli army said that the operation targeted a surveillance and reconnaissance site, as well as a weapons storage facility and a hideout for alleged militants who carried out attacks on Israeli targets in recent months.
The city of Jenin and the refugee camp adjacent to it are a regular scene of confrontations between the Israeli forces and the Palestinians.
The Palestinian presidency also considered the Israeli army’s military operation in Jenin in the West Bank, Monday, as a “new war crime”.
In a statement published by the official Palestinian News Agency (Wafa), presidential spokesman Nabil Abu Rudeineh confirmed that security and stability will not be achieved in the region unless our Palestinian people feel it.
Abu Rudeineh said that the Palestinian people “will not kneel, will not surrender, will not raise the white flag, and will remain steadfast on their land in the face of this brutal aggression, until the occupation is defeated and freedom is achieved”.
He added, “All these crimes committed by the occupation government and its terrorist settlers will not achieve security and stability for them”.
Abu Rudeineh called on the international community to break its shameful silence and take serious action to compel Israel to stop its aggression against the Palestinian people, and to hold it accountable for all these crimes.
Meanwhile, the Israeli army announced on Monday, that they deployed Iron Dome missiles system on the borders of Lebanon and the Gaza Strip, in anticipation of launching missiles from there, against the background of the bombing of the Jenin refugee camp in the northern occupied West Bank.
The Israeli Army Radio said, “The security establishment in Israel is preparing for the possibility of the reaction of the Palestinian factions in Gaza and Lebanon, as a sign of solidarity with the Jenin refugee camp,” adding that, Iron Dome batteries have been deployed, noting that the Israeli army is making preparations for a large-scale escalation and Palestinian attacks on targets in the West Bank.
The radio quoted an unnamed military official as saying, “Even if there is a reaction from other sectors, this won’t affect the length of the operation in Jenin”.
In the same context, the Israeli Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper revealed on Monday, a message sent through the Egyptian mediator to the Hamas and Islamic Jihad movements in the Gaza Strip, regarding the Israeli aggression on Jenin.
An Israeli political source told the Yedioth Ahronoth, “I conveyed a message to Hamas and Jihad in Gaza via Egypt that this operation is specific and they shouldn’t interfere, and that they should stay out of the game because the target is not Gaza, and if the rockets are launched, they will respond harshly”.
The Israeli newspaper added that the security assessments are that Gaza will remain outside the event and won’t interfere.