France Is facing the fifth night of riots and Macron hold a security meeting


Young rioters clashed with police early Sunday and targeted the mayor’s house with a burning car, as France faced a fifth night of unrest sparked by the police killing of a teenager, but the overall pace of violence appeared to be down from previous nights.

Police arrested 719 people across the country in the early hours of Sunday morning, after a massive security deployment aimed at quelling the worst social unrest in France in years.

The fast-spreading crisis is challenging President Emmanuel Macron’s leadership, revealing deep resentment in slums over discrimination and a lack of equal opportunity.

The 17-year-old boy whose death on Tuesday caused outrage buried on Saturday in an Islamic ceremony in Nattiers, a Paris suburb where his feelings of loss still burn and his identity announced only by his first name, Nael.

As night fell on the French capital, a small crowd gathered on the Champs-Elysées to protest the killing of teenager Nael and police violence, but they were confronted by hundreds of policemen armed with batons and shields guarding the famous avenue.

In another incident north of Paris, demonstrators set off firecrackers and fireworks and set fire to barricades, while police responded with tear gas and stun grenades.

French protectors targeted the residence of the mayor of the suburb of Les-les-Rose.

A burning car crashed into the home of the mayor of the Paris suburb of Les-les-Rose overnight.

Although many schools, police stations, municipalities and shops have been targeted by fires or acts of vandalism in recent days, such an attack on the mayor’s house is unusual.

Mayor Vincent Janbron said that his wife and children injured in the attack, which took place at 1:30 AM (local time) while the family was sleeping, and he was in the municipal building watching the riots and violence.

Ganbron, of the opposition Republican Party, said in a statement that the attack represented a new phase of “horror and shame” amid the unrest, and urged the government to impose a state of emergency.

Stéphane Hardouin, the regional public prosecutor, opened an investigation into the attempted murder during the attack, explaining to French television that the initial investigation indicated that the car was intended to crash into the house and set it on fire, and said that the accelerant was found in a bottle of the car.

Macron plans to hold a private security meeting on Sunday evening.

Skirmishes broke out in the Mediterranean city of Marseille, but they appeared to be less intense than the night before, according to the interior minister, and reinforced police unit arrested 55 people there.

There were fewer arrests across the country than the night before, which the interior minister attributed to “the decisive actions of the security forces”.

More than 3,000 people have been arrested since the killing of Nael.

Hundreds of police and firefighters injured in the violence, although the authorities did not say how many protesters were injured.

Share it...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *